Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Hare Chane Ki Chaat


Hare Chane ki Chaat

I've such fond memories of eating this hara chana (aka harbara), sitting on the jhula (swing), shelling it with my sis, fresh as could be. Now I've to make do with what ever is available, translation - frozen chana! Aren't all the lovely memories created around food? I make this to recreate those moments.


I've to share a very special story with you all. I used to have excellent chana chaat from a vendor at Matunga. People came from far away places to indulge in this chaat. It used to be a very funny sight, he used to add his special masala pwd to the chaat in a quick motion of 13 pinches, imagine that! Now if you wanted extra spicy, it would be 20 quick pinches and so on. We used to have such a blast watching him count & add those pinches of masala and then we used to joke -did you get all 13pinches or was it less? He had created a name for himself due to this style of his, good marketing, wat say?


Here's how you can do it.
1/2 cup hara chana, steamed
2 tbsp chopped onion
2 tbsp chopped tomato
Chaat masala, red chille pwd, black salt, salt & pepper as per taste
lemon juice

Mix all and enjoy this powerhouse of nutrition, that's all!!


I cannot stress enough that they taste awesome when fresh, frozen is always second choice.

This is my entry for Nupur's A-Z of vegetables.


2 comments:

Nupur said...

Love the story of the enterprising chaat-bhaiyya! Your version looks so delicious!

Richa said...

hi nupur, welcome to my blog, and thanks for visiting.
I look forward to the roundup.
cheers!