Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Sweet Nothings

I wanted to bake these Date Rolls since I had seen them on Viji's blog, I also knew that I would be using my 'culinary license' (to quote Nupur) to incorporate the puff pastry sheets. Viji made the dough from scratch using all purpose flour & butter, I on the other hand wanted Pepperidge Farm to prosper (read was lazy to knead, was out of time or whatever else you want to read it as :) ).
.
Here is how I made the Date Rolls. I'm giving you the basic guide line which can be appropriated to your needs.
.
Thaw the Puff Pastry Sheets as directed on the packet.
In the meanwhile heat a tbsp of ghee and saute finely chopped dates for a few minutes, this gives a very good taste.
Grate ginger and grind some cardamom to make a powder. If you do not like ginger shreds in your dish, you can use ginger juice, but definitely do use ginger, it gives a nice contrast to the sweet dates.
Mix sauteed dates, ginger, elaichi powder and sprinkle some milk over it. I did this to avoid over drying of dates during the baking process.
Cut each sheet of pastry into 3 long strips. Spread the date mix along the center of each sheet and then bring the edges together to form a roll, seal well. Sprinkle some sesame seeds over the roll. Cut into smaller pieces.
Bake in 400 * oven for 12-15 minutes till golden brown on top, the last 2-3 minutes are crucial, it is best to hover around the oven and keep checking so the rolls won't burn.
Enjoy hot & crispy Date Rolls.
For a variation I also tried it with dried Figs and it turned out good, figs being so versatile!


How about one more sweet treat for you :) Rava Laddu


I have always been very fond of Rava/Semolina Laddu, but the excessive ghee deterred me from making it many a times.
I believe in moderation, I do not mind eating little bit of ghee for the authentic taste in certain dishes, in fact I would rather eat ghee than the so called fat free margarine or make-believe butter :). You will most certainly not find me adding flax seed powder in my chocolate mousse, but I can do without the soda or sugar laden donuts ;-) no offence, just kiddin' !!
.
So, when I saw Sigma's Rava Laddu, made with just a tbsp of ghee, I knew I had to try it, and try I did. They turned out great and here is how I made them.
.
1 cup Rava/Semolina
3 tbsp raisins, chopped (I'm very fond of raisins, hence the huge amount, can reduce as per taste)
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 cup sugar (I took a little less than that)
1 cup milk
1 tsp cardamom powder
.
Heat ghee and fry raisins, keep aside.
In the same pan add rava and fry till it gets heated through, add coconut and keep frying till you get a golden color.
Add sugar, raisins, cardamom & milk. Keep stirring till the milk gets incorporated.
Cool and then shape into balls.
As Sig mentioned, you can store them in the fridge and microwave just a few seconds before serving.


Enjoy the sweet treats and many thanks Viji and Sig!
The 'Sweet Nothings' is my contribution to coffee for MBP.

30 comments:

TNL said...

Date rolls and Laddo keva saras lagey che...! A coffee pan maru 5 pound vajan vadhari devani che a month maa!!!
ready made puff pastry ketli easy che! maney to ena puff samosa paan bahuj gamey che...!

hugs,trupti

bee said...

very yummy looking date rolls. i adore rava laddoos as well. thanks for the recipes.

Sig said...

yummy...Richa, it is raining sweets in here... those date rolls look beautiful, glad you liked the laddus.
I just remembered your Fig shake when I read about the fig rolls, u must really love those figs :)

Sia said...

sweet nothings??????!!!!!!
u post not just one but 2 sweets here and give the title as sweet nothings? ;) he he he.... i too would use puff pastries instead of making a dough from scartch as i am too lazy;) beautifully presented sweets and i better not open ur blog when hubby dear is around:)

TheCooker said...

The date rolls look divine. Now I know what I'm going to do with the leftover puff pastry.
Date roll ane puff samosa, baddha gamey che!
-TC

musical said...

Lovely laddus and date rolls. i also had my eyes set on Sig's Rava Laddoos since teh day she posted them. wah wah, kya baat hai.thode laddoos idhar bhi bhejo :)

Richa said...

trupti, sacchi vaat che, puff pastry sweet aney savory stuff matey bau easy che. do try them.
enjoy.

thanks bee. yup those date rolls have a beautiful taste with that ginger addn. laddus r quick & tasty.

hey sig, thanks a ton for that recipe, they came out so well, the only downside being you can't stop at one ;-) you r right sig, fig is a fav!

sia, heh!heh! that's why the 'S'
yes they are both pretty addictive, as all sweets are :)
enjoy dear

Richa said...

aga cooker, thanks baraka, 'blush'!
tuzhaya kade leftover puff pastry ahe tar hey rolls jaroor banav, sagleanla avadel :)

haanji musical, thuadde vaastey date rolls jaroor bhejangey! fig de naal bhi badey tasty baney sigey :) sig de laddoo da te jawab nai, bade jaldi ban jandene :) tussi try karna.
keep smiling sweetie :)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Hey, the date rolls look as tempting as ever!!!!!!!!! Just out of the world!! :)

Kribha said...

Your date rolls rock. I have a pastry sheet lying in my freezer for a long time. will try your dish soon.Great pics Richa. Loved the presentation of rava ladoo as well.

FH said...

Sweet nothings!!Hahaha!!
Both desserts look fab.Frying coconut for Laddus is new,sounds good,got to try:)
Dates and ginger combo,I like it.Great entries.I haven't even started on it:)

Anonymous said...

sweet everything!!!!

sweetie, you are on a roll. love the laddoos and date rolls. thtis time hope dakia is on time and not greedy. :)):))

Anonymous said...

Ahh....everytime I come here, I drool over those pics. Never tried date rolls, they look divine. I am going to try them sometime (well, I donno when, my to-do list is growing beyond limits).

Cynthia said...

And here I was thinking that I can use your ;) laddo recipe and make it for Coffee's MBP (lol). I'll keep patrolling the web.

Richa said...

thanks ramya, you are making me blush! we did enjoy the sweets a lot, a little addictive actually.
thanks

thanks kribha, glad u liked both the sweets. do try it and let me know.
enjoy..

thanks asha, so u liked the title, heh!heh!
yup that ginger date combo was great.
enjoy

hey reena, thanks dear! enjoy the sweets, as for the dakia, i guess someone's whispering sweet nothings in his ear heh!heh!
enjoy

Richa said...

thanks shilpa, your generous words are making me blush! i know what you mean by ever growing lists ha!ha!
enjoy

thanks cynthia. so u wanted to send this for mbp, LOL! that's too funny! maybe you can still send it, patrolling the patrol :)
enjoy

Roopa said...

both looks so fabulous. i am hooked to the date rolls i have so much yet left now i know what i ccan do with it!

archana said...

Hi Richa,Both the sweets are too good.Nice entry for MBP.
The first one I will make when Pillsbury decides to make Puff pastry sheets in India. Even I have no patience to make them from scratch:))
The laddoos are looking inviting becoz you used 1Tbsp ghee.
I think Viji's Rolls can be made in shortcrust pastry too ( the one you use for pies).What do you say.Short crust pastry should hardly take any time :)

Viji said...

Hi Richa, Thanks for trying that date rolls. With puff pastry it looks great and nice twist. The ladoos are my all time favorite. Nice entries. You have given big banner for my rolls with your novel idea of using puff pastry as I know this will attract many career women. Lovely post Richa, Viji

Richa said...

hey roopa, thanks yaar! do try them, with the puff pastry it is a breezee ha!ha!
enjoy

archana dear, glad you liked the sweets. that's a great idea, i'm sure short crust pastry shud work well too :) so till u get the puff pastry go for whatever is available out there ;-) aga khajoor puran banavoon puran poli chi idea kashi vatetey? heh!heh! yup laddu has 1tbsp ghee :)
enjoy sweetie!

thanks for ur kind words viji dear, i'm glad to hv tried date rolls! yes you are absolutely correct, puff pastry comes in handy for people in a rush :) ladu is tasty as well. thanks for ur support.
enjoy

Sharmi said...

those two are unique and great entries. loved the rava ladoo.

DEEPA said...

hey man ...rools are great ...very tempting ...your rava laddos are looking great ....

i am also on the way to pass the culinary license...

Coffee said...

NOTHING!!!!! Is this NOTHING!!!!!!! Its a whole lot of things!!!!!

Date rolls look fab!!!! And so does the laddu...!!!!!! Thanks for such a lovely entry dear. :)

sunita said...

Those date rolls and laddus look soooo mouthwatering...My sweetbuds are running haywire...I really have such a sweet tooth...as for the pastry sheets...they are life savers...cling onto them...

Pravs said...

Oh really yummy sweet treats you have here.. for that tile sweet nothings :D

KD said...

Yuuuummm..I will have to try these :) I might steal a couple of other ideas from your blog - everything just looks so delicious. I'm dying to try those Nylon sandwich thingies :)

Mythreyee said...

thats a real treat. I am also fond of rava ladoos. Yours looks great.

Anonymous said...

Date rolls look Yummy-licious.. got to try it ..It seems Coffee would be the driving force for our increased weight this month :-)

swapna susarla said...

Date rolls are looking lovely richa!!!ravva laddoo is my all time favorite.

Richa said...

thanks sharmi, deepa, coffee, sunita, pravs, komal, mythreye, sushma & swapna.
really appreciate your kind words, keep them coming :)
Enjoy the sweets with your near and dear ones :)