Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A day in the life of Moong - K H A S T A ... K A C H O R I

Whole Moong/Mung beans is not only a powerhouse of nutrients, but is highly revered for it's wholesomeness and makes it's ominous presence felt during holy ceremonies!
It is 'THE' dal of choice offered during pregnancy celebration/baby shower to the expectant mother for Good Luck!
It is 'THE' dal offered during 'Grihapravesh'/House Warming. The variety of preparations made from this amazingly versatile dal is endless. From it's use in salads to sprouts, to it's use in sweets, fried dal snacks and then there is my favorite Khasta Kachori with Moong filling :)
It seems to me, this wonder of a food can do the work of all the coarses in a meal!!
Can you tell, I'm besotted with Moong?
.
Let us get to the recipe of one of my favotite snacks,
.
Khasta Kachori
.


For the covering:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour/maida
1/4 tsp ajwain/oregano seeds
salt to taste
1/4 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp soda/fruit salt
a pinch hing
.
Masala:
2 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp fennel seeds/saunf
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp besan/chickpeas flour
salt to taste
.
To Serve:
1 cup boiled Moong
green chutney
tamarind chutney
whisked yogurt
chopped coriander
sev/fried chickpea strings
.
1. Knead a dough with all the ingredients. It should be a tight dough and keep aside for 1/2 an hour.
Please note that this can be made with either 2 cups whole wheat flour OR 2 cups all purpose flour as well. Usually the vendors use all purpose flour, I've tried with whole wheat flour and they turned well, just have to be careful about kneading it tight, 'coz we want the kachori to remain firm after frying.
2. Dry roast the coriander and fennel seeds. Add besan and roast till it cooks through. Add the remaining masala powders and blend to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil for deep frying.
4. Roll out a small puri and stuff with 1/2 tsp of the ground mixture. Seal and roll it again to a regular puri size making sure the filling does not ooze out. Deep fry on a medium flame and flip, cook till done. DO NOT fry on high flame or the kachori will not cook well and will not remain firm.
5. Repeat for the remaining dough. The ground masala can be kept in a sealed jar in the refrigerator for months together.
.
6. For serving, prick the Khasta Kachori, fill some boiled Moong, add green chutney and tamarind chutney. Drizzle whisked yogurt and garnish with chopped corianer and fried sev.
Enjoy a bowl of lip smacking goodness!!!!!
.
Khasta Kachori with wholesome Moong filling....


Chilled yogurt drizzled on top.........................


Spicy Tangy Sweet chutnies mmmmmmmmmmmm..........



Yess... there is onion and fried sev to top it all.....................
.
Indulge a little..................

I am sending this over to Susan for her Legume event.
.
Enjoy a few others in the seriously tempting chaat series:
.
M I S A L
.
R A G D A P A T T I E S
.
D A H I B H A L L E
.

54 comments:

Laavanya said...

Wow this is just too scrumptious for words. Seems like a lot of work that most chaats but very well worth it. Wish I had a plate in front of me! :)

Richa said...

thanks laav!
yup it does involve some work, but u can make the masala and refrigerate it for future uses!
u would like to make it again and again, like me :)
enjoy........

TBC said...

Kinda like pani pooris, huh? Delicious! I love chat types:-)

Richa said...

thanks tbc!
no, it is not like pani puri at all, they r two totally different things!
do try........
enjoy

Sig said...

Wow, never seen this one before... I love how you have the pictures of all the different steps...it is good to see the dish transforming in front of our eyes... :D I am not a big chaat person, but this looks like something I can get used to...

FH said...

Oh my!! You are killing me!! I used to eat lot of Khasta Kachoris in Belgaum with spicy fried Urad dal filling, I loved it so much. Never made it at home though, always looked complicated. With whole green Moong, it looks fabulous girl, might make it! Thanks sweetie!:))

Mythreyee said...

my mouth is watering. What an excellent dish. I don't mind having it for BF,L and D.

Namratha said...

My my, I'm feeling sooo hungry right now that I'm clawing at the screen! Looks awesome Richa, and what a great way to make this....will try it very soon :)

evolvingtastes said...

Sheesh, I had no idea this is what khasta kachori is supposed to be! I always thought it was the type where the dal filling is stuffed into the puri and then fried. What does 'khasta' mean, if you know?

Finla said...

You can serve me up the last plate.
and indulge me anyime you want with this plate :-)

Richa said...

thanks sig!
yup, i was happy to take the step by step pics, was so much fun :)

thanks asha!
sure, do make it & lemme' know! it is just too good to be missed...lol
enjoy......

Richa said...

thanks mythreyee!
lemme' know what meal u make it for ;)

thanks namratha!
wish i could make it for ya, but do try.........

Richa said...

thanks et!
khasta means flaky, one that has layers due to oil used for 'mohan', though i do not use as much as the vendors! the kachori has to remain puffed after all those fillings.
there are many variations to the kachori, but this is the only way i like it ;) just try it once & u can refrigerate the masala forever.

thanks hc!
sure, when r u coming over? will keep it reay for ya :)

Anonymous said...

oh yumm Richa! I love khasta kachoris...i'm coming over for the chaat!

Lisa Turner said...

I'm thinking I could eat these every single day! I've no doubt they are worth the effort. Gorgeous Richa!

Kalai said...

This looks so unbelievably tempting! I totally share your love of moong! Will try as my hubby loooooooves chaat items! :)

Anonymous said...

i guess its raining kachoris around me.. everyone around me is making them.. I definitely need to try these... I love the nutritious filling!

amna said...

its so delightful to see the kachori chaat developing step by step :D lovely and healthy too!!

Sia said...

i used to eat these every weekend when studying in dharwad. richa, u took me down the memory lane girl... feel so nostalgic when i think of it.

sunita said...

richa,I'm not a great fan of kachoris , but I think I might like this :-)

indosungod said...

Richa, I have tasted kachoris maybe a few times and loved them. The golden brown one sprinkled with those moong beans YUM.

Prema Sundar said...

want to take a bite of it richa .. looks so nice and i love chats. planning to try ur misal sometime next week.

Rajitha said...

and you make all this chatpata stuff coz you hate us..don't u..so so good..i am a huge chat freak..

Timepass said...

I think the words tempting and yummy would be an understatement... bet it would have tasted very very delicious..

Manasi said...

MOUTHWATERING!!!!
I made these a while ago, but no pix :( .. got greedya nd ate them all up (made a small quantity as a trial)
Ur kachoris look SO good, feel like tucking into them!!
Must try these now!!!

vimmi said...

Have been wating to make kachories for a long time. Saw a recipe on youtube also. We stuff the dal in the kachori. Ur pics are making my mouth water.

Anonymous said...

what a coincidence, i hogged on daal kachoris today evening...:P
The chaat version looks desirable all the same...:D

TheCooker said...

Kya baat hain!!
Looks too good.
Came here thinking you've made kachori stuffed with moong-daal...but this is totally different.
One learns something new everyday :)

Richa said...

thanks latha!

thanks lisa!

thanks kalai!

thanks dee!

thanks nags! yup, healthy it is.

thanks sia! yeah memories of kachori :)

thanks sunita!

Richa said...

thanks isg!

thanks prema! do let me know.

thanks rajitha!

thanks timepass!

thanks manasi! yup, i saved these for the pics, which was the tough part he!he! lemme' know if u try.

thanks vimmi. lemme know if u try.

thanks bhags!

thanks tc! i learnt these from my cuz, takes a lil' time but they r absolutely mind blowing, if i may say so myself..he!he!

Mansi said...

wow Richa, you made those kachoris at home!! cool yaar:) I was just thinking of making these next week, and you've really inspired me to try these at home:)

thanks buddy!

Jayashree said...

Will you please, please parcel me some of that awesome looking kachori???

musical said...

Ah, the numerous ways in which a kchori can tempt! The last picture totally had me, Richa! Now i want some with chai, yum-yum :-D.

Meera said...

Wow! That looks so yummy! With moong filling, it's totally new to me. Wonderful recipe!
Thanks for visiting my blog.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

yummmm!!!! Kachoris look so very good!!! Love the pictures

Richa said...

thanks mansi! yup, time o get into the kitchen & whip out these beauties ;)

thanks jayashree! sure sweetie!

thanks musy! jaroor ji jaroor, chai te' kachoria wah ji wah :) chetti chetti aajao :)

thanks meera! there r many variations out there, but this remains my all time fav :)

thanks ramya! glad u liked 'em sweetie!

Seema said...

Thats so good.. even after a full dinner that pictures making me crave for some chaat! Richa Awesome presentation & your making me hungry again! I love this one!

Archana Doshi said...

Great presentation richa. well written. moong dal is so great on these chaat dishes. I love making these types, but the reason i keep avoiding is my preashing to my children to eat less junk and fried food :). Hehee. Usually make them during occations :)

Swati said...

Mouthwatering !!!Looks awesome ..am a chaat freak and love your idea!1

Rama said...

its looking like pani poori......

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Oh wow fantastic chaat will gona try for this weekend .... Good one

Suganya said...

Hi Richa...I am back after long break....Loved all ur recipes during my break....Kachori is rocking...nice pictures....

Cynthia said...

Well I have just learnt about the significance of this dal, thank you my friend.

Kribha said...

Oh My! I love your kachori sooooo much. The presentation with sev and dahi makes it even more appetizing. A great entry Richa!

DEEPA said...

i love this lady ..this is awesome !!!

Pooja V said...

This is scrumptious and i so drooling over this.

Dhivya said...

wow nice steps with picture...great

Anonymous said...

Moong chaat, did you say moong chaat.. I am hurrying... :)

Pravs said...

oh so yummy ! want to have some now. slurp :)

Sagari said...

yum pics looks soo tempting

Richa said...

thanks for stopping by ladies!

Nupur said...

Richa, you are the queen of the most drool-worthy chatpata khaana! This looks soooo good.

Shella said...

That looks awesome. I am a big chaat fan n have to absoultely make this sometime.

Sunshinemom said...

I just came over from Mansi's and this one is as lovely and healthy too! Will try it very soon!